The Trust is currently involved in a wide range of research studies that help us to improve the quality of care provided to patients, carers and service users. The Library adminsters the Trust Knowledge Database, which includes journal articles, presentations, books chapters and research projects undertaken by (or involving) BCHC staff. The Knowledge Database can only be accessed through the BCHC Intranet. If you have information to add, please contact the Library.
How can the Library support your research?
Smallwood Library works closely with the Research and Innovation Team whose website can be found here.
Smallwood Library supports BCHC’s initiative to increase research within the Trust whatever your area of work. We are eager to support all researchers whether carrying out portfolio research, non-portfolio research or researching as part of their studies.
Services that we offer include :
· Finding evidence-based literature. The Library has skilled professionals who are ready to provide support formulating research questions, designing search strategies, setting up update alerts, tracking down evidence and assessing its validity, reliability and applicability.
· Information skills training: tailored sessions teaching how to search for reliable information.
· Books and journals on a variety of subjects including research methods and design (print and electronic).
· NHS OpenAthens account: access full text articles, e-books, and healthcare databases.
· BaseDoc: our web-based ordering system for requesting journal articles and literature searches.
· NVIVO: software package to collate qualitative data
· Advice and training in reference management software
· Current awareness: fortnightly bulletins of high impact publications relevant to your professional interests sent directly to you to keep up to date.
· Critical appraisal: tips and training on appraising evidence.
· Access to e-learning on topics such as Metanalysis, statistics, publication, bias
· Information management: advice on citation and referencing.
· 24 Hour study space: a hot-desking room with computers is available with the swipe of your access card.